Staunton , VA 24401 USA
USD HOUR 10$10 per hour
part-time PART_TIMEInnovative Refrigeration Systems, Inc. http://r717.net Innovative Refrigeration Systems, Inc. 10808
High School or GED
Little North Mountain Vineyard in Swoope, Virginia is hiring summer interns for the 2018 growing season. This is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience growing wine grapes in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. The vineyard is 50 acres in size and the vines are in their 1st-3rd years.
Why work for us? We can offer an exciting internship for the right candidates to gain hands-on knowledge in viticulture! Because this is a young vineyard, you will have the opportunity to work on and establish young vines from the ground up. The knowledge you gain (while getting paid!) will be invaluable while you pursue your degree.
About the Position:
- Weekly pay
- Hands-on training
- Summer internship – Position is available May-August
- Application takes 5-10 minutes, receive feedback in 2 business days
- Specialized vineyard tasks to include: pruning, tying, suckering/shoot thinning, weeding, trellis maintenance, leaf & fruit thinning, and vineyard layout
- The operation of tractors and tractor implements in order to accomplish various vineyard practices such as mowing, spraying, trimming, etc.
- Operate light equipment such as weed eaters and backpack sprayers when necessary.
- Inspect tractor and/or other equipment before operation and be responsible for notifying supervisor when in need of service or repair.
- Calibrate and use agricultural spray equipment and perform necessary adjustments.
- Perform light equipment maintenance as directed.
- Apply canopy and herbicide sprays following established safety procedures and instruction.
- Perform various routine maintenance tasks such as trellis repair, hoeing, drainage repair, erosion control, site-preparation, etc.
- Follow safe operating procedures, maintain safety programs and policies to safeguard personal safety, company property, environmental and team member's safety.
- Operate ATV for transportation and scouting work.
- Must be a high school graduate or have GED.
- Previous experience in farm, vineyard or orchard work is preferred but not mandatory.
- Disciplined work ethic, accountability, and follow-through.
- Ability to work alone without constant supervision.
- Working conditions in certain areas of the vineyard are cold, hot, wet, windy, slippery. Must be comfortable in inclement weather
- Some vineyard work involves exposure to hazardous conditions.
- Frequently required to sit and drive for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally required to stand, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- Frequent walking and bending is required.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
*This position is not eligible for benefits