Vineyard Laborer - Seasonal
Staunton , VA 24401 USA
USD HOUR 12$12 per hour
part-time PART_TIMEInnovative Refrigeration Systems, Inc. http://r717.net Innovative Refrigeration Systems, Inc. 12137
High School or GED
Little North Mountain Vineyard in Swoope, Virginia is hiring summer seasonal help for the 2018 growing season. This is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience growing wine grapes in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. The vineyard is 50 acres in size and the vines are in their 1st-3rd years.
Why work for us? We can offer an exciting position for the right candidates to gain hands-on knowledge in viticulture! Because this is a young vineyard, you will have the opportunity to work on and establish young vines from the ground up.
About the Position:
- Weekly pay
- Hands-on training
- Summer seasonal – Position is available May-August
- Application takes 5-10 minutes, receive feedback in 2 business days
- Specialized vineyard tasks to include: pruning, tying, suckering/shoot thinning, weeding, trellis maintenance, leaf & fruit thinning, and vineyard layout
- The operation of tractors and tractor implements in order to accomplish various vineyard practices such as mowing, spraying, trimming, etc.
- Operate light equipment such as weed eaters and backpack sprayers when necessary.
- Inspect tractor and/or other equipment before operation and be responsible for notifying supervisor when in need of service or repair.
- Calibrate and use agricultural spray equipment and perform necessary adjustments.
- Perform light equipment maintenance as directed.
- Apply canopy and herbicide sprays following established safety procedures and instruction.
- Perform various routine maintenance tasks such as trellis repair, hoeing, drainage repair, erosion control, site-preparation, etc.
- Follow safe operating procedures, maintain safety programs and policies to safeguard personal safety, company property, environmental and team member's safety.
- Operate ATV for transportation and scouting work.
- Must be a high school graduate or have GED.
- Previous experience in farm, vineyard or orchard work is preferred but not mandatory.
- Disciplined work ethic, accountability, and follow-through.
- Ability to work alone without constant supervision.
- Working conditions in certain areas of the vineyard are cold, hot, wet, windy, slippery. Must be comfortable in inclement weather
- Some vineyard work involves exposure to hazardous conditions.
- Frequently required to sit and drive for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally required to stand, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- Frequent walking and bending is required.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
*This position is not eligible for benefits